Thursday, February 21, 2008

Still going.

Been doing just fine the past couple days. Still some shortness of breath and general malaise - but back to society. I've been working about 6 hours a day, but I can't quite make it to 5 anymore. I'll give it some time - though admittedly, I'm going to hate to give up Dr. Phil and Oprah.

I had a talk with my Oncology Nurse Practioner (who's name escapes me) the other day and there something she said that I can't seem to shake. We were talking about the drugs I'm taking and I told her Gleevec and Allepurinol. She seemed surprised that I wasn't taking an anti-anxiety drug and told me that for many, its almost considered a standard of care. I thought for a minute and agreed - there are very few things I expect to experience in life that would create more anxiety than the diagnosis of cancer, especially at a young age. The more I thought about it, I wondered if it would help take my mind off of the treatment and generally let me get back to a normal life where I'm just living and not in a persistent state of healing. I was tempted to say - write one up for me, but I decided against it. I think I need to live through treatment for a while, listen to my body and react to good feelings and bad. I certainly think anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds have their place in our society, but I want to fight this one on my own for a while.

I promise to do my best to keep this thing updated every couple days, even if it's just a sentence or two about daily life, or the weather.

No comments: