Monday, August 18, 2008

I'm a better dad because of it...

So I picked up our new car today...a minivan. I guess its kinda a parental right of passage...one that was a little tough to stomach. As it turns out - I love the damn thing...Kristin on the other hand is more than a little embarrassed.

Since diagnosed, I started nesting a little more. Protecting things around me with a renewed vigor if you will. I certainly never threw any caution to the wind in the past, but now I like the idea of holing up with my family in our home and spending time together. The van is just an extension of that - side curtain airbags, lower chances of roll-over, four wheel ABS and traction control. Its like driving your sofa clad in armor.

It certainly is not cool, but a nice vehicle at a fair price. I was sad to see the Yukon go, but more in a sentimental way. I was delighted to unload that thing before anything else went wrong with it (and its 12mpg average fuel economy) Admittedly, I'm a little curious how Maris and Eli will respond when I pick them up from school today in a different vehicle than I dropped them off in.

1 comment:

Colin said...

Don't do it, kids! Kidhood Lesson One: Don't get into some weird dude's van, just because he says and looks like he's your dad!

Actually, though, the Odyssey is cool. Penny's as opposed to them as Kristin, and it's hard to justify with zero kids in the household, or I'd have one in a heartbeat.