Thursday, April 24, 2008

35 and 2.

Maris and I share a birthday today. Her's is the 2 and mine is the 35.

All things being considered, it's been an OK year. I can honestly say that just three months ago, I wasn't sure I was going to see my 35th. Needless to say, I've learned a lot since then and feel really good going forward.

Even before I was diagnosed, I paid pretty close attention to my body. While I was probably a pain in the ass for Kristin as I constantly diagnosed myself on the Internet - I'm glad we were able to catch my Leukemia early enough for effective treatment. The challenge for me is that now I'm even more sensitive to changes in my body at a time when it is probably going through the most changes to date.

I probably need to step back a bit and not let my head run the show as much. I have been a little under the weather the past 24 hours and it just feels different than before. So much of this is getting used to my 'new normal' and not repeating mistakes of that past the lead to panic and ultimately feeling worse. I am going to see Dr. Dugan as a precaution tomorrow, but I expect everything will be business as usual.

No big birthday plans other than to spend some quality time with my family. My mom and dad are down looking at homes this week and to help celebrate Maris' ushering into the terrible twos.

I'm lucky to have so many wonderful folks around me and to have a family that I can't wait to get home to.

No comments: