Monday, April 21, 2008

The calm before the storm.

EARTHQUAKE HITS THE MIDWEST. Admittedly, it was a little weird and quite unnerving. It was only a 5.2 followed by several 2.x ones and then a periodic 4.x.

At my office, I am sitting under probably 12" of 100 year old concrete and surrounded by no less than 500,000 bricks. All of a sudden a building that is great for tornado protection is horrible for earthquakes. What's more, where the hell do you run - I guess you head outside away from old, brittle structures but the fact of the matter is...the ground is still moving. Apparently, the midwest is ripe for a doosey of a quake and nobody knows when. These quakes are several hundred miles away but the large sheets of bedrock miles under the earth help radiate the energy miles and miles away.

As if I needed something else to worry about...

Health has been pretty good, though I did forget my pill last night so I'll be playing catchup for a couple days. I generally don't feel as crappy as I used to post-pill so this morning may be a little rough, but not enough to send me home.

The weather has been pretty awesome the past week so we've been getting to the park pretty regularly and riding bikes as often as we can. The bike we purchased for Eli last year is a little small now (it looks like a clown bike) so we ordered a new Schwinn for him last week.



Better get off to work.

2 comments:

Colin said...

Holy Cow, Eli's a giant! I guess the bike probably emphasizes it unduly, but still... dude's tripled in size since I saw him last.

Maybe it wasn't an earthquake after all. Maybe Eli just wanted some cookies.

REMIT said...

Aaron:
A friend told me of an effective technique for teaching neophytes how to ride a 2-wheeler. I did it with Liana and it worked quickly.

Remove the training wheels AND the pedals. The 1st thing they begin to learn is how balance the bike. They accomplish this without having to think about pedaling. They scoot along and begin to get the feel of how the bike is balanced and kept upright. AS this process progresses they begin to lift their feet up more and more and make the transition to two wheels quickly. It worked great for Liana.
Uncle Richard