Tuesday, May 27, 2008

another week already?

I will apologize in advance for the lack of updates lately and fact that this won't be a terribly long post.

In short, feeling ok. A little fatigue, a little short of breath but generally in good spirits. Every day I learn how to better adapt to my symptoms and how to get back to being a useful human in our society. I read an interesting article in my Heal Magazine. It helped me justify some of my feelings and let me know that others share my concerns, here is an excerpt.

Treatment successes are pushing more patients into the uncertain territory known as chronic cancer

David Lorber calls each day a gift. Diagnosed in 2004 with a slow-growing form of lung cancer, bronchoalveolar carcinoma, the chemotherapy pills that he takes each morning are a daily reminder that his time is likely to be limited.

When John Elliott was diagnosed with the aggressive brain cancer glioblastoma multiforme in 2004, he was told he had six to eight weeks to live. Now, almost four years later and after a lengthy regimen of medication, Elliott is defying the odds.

Lorber, Elliott and others are learning to grapple with an increasingly common reality, that the cancer experience doesn’t have to be an either/or situation — that either a person is “cured” or the illness is clearly terminal. Rather, the reality of cancer can be an ongoing circumstance — and one often marked for individuals by a weighty uncertainty about how long they can survive with the disease. ...
In short - this gets back to just accepting the things around as they are. Living your life rather than being in a perpetual state of fighting for it and treating rather than curing.

Moving on.

Here is a list of notes from the weekend.

  • I finally finished Maris' dresser. So far my only complaint is the moth ball scent. We ordered some drawer liners that we hope will lessen the scent.
  • I built a new jungle gym for the kiddos in the yard using our Quadro toys.
  • I finally got the stereo installed in Edith. She is appropriately bumping and all is right with the world. The installers did a great job at a fair price. I am delighted.
  • I set up an old LCD projector in our backyard and Eli, Kristin and I watched Cars under the moonlight. With drive-ins disappearing - this was a great way to enjoy the outdoors and a movie. Admittedly - Eli cared less about the movie and more about the 'potcorn'.
  • My mom and dad are back from Paris for Michael's wedding. I have only seen preliminary pictures, but it looked like an amazing event and I couldn't be happier for Michael and Irene.

I better get moving - lunch is almost over.

No comments: