Friday, May 2, 2008

The Money Pit.

Not really, but why didn't someone tell me that owning a classic car is similar to burning $20 bills. Since purchasing the car, I have:

1. Had the entire suspension rebuilt - $1,600
2. New exhaust - $350
3. New floor pans - $400
4. Audio system - $500 (installed)
5. Random parts - $400
6. Parts yet to be purchased $500 (carpet, panels, etc)
7. Body work yet to be completed - $2,000 (my estimate for work and new paint)
8. RustCheck protectant $200.

It's a pretty exhaustive list, but at the end of the day - the car sure does make me happy. I hope to order a car seat for Eli this week so the entire family can cruise.

I got the exhaust done at Ralph's Muffler on W. 16th St. The work was done pretty well and for a decent price, but I would have paid more just because of their signage. Lookie here:



If you're wondering, his name is Mr. Bendo.

I am going to try and get some quality time with Edith this weekend to get the glove box put back in and wrap up a few loose ends on the interior. Admittedly, after purchasing one classic car - you kinda get an itch to have another. Maybe a 1940s pickup this time...

2 comments:

Matt said...

Hey that's my idea. Although I bet you get yours before I get mine. I need to drop by and check edith out. Sounds like she will be a completely different girl since I saw her last.

Colin said...

Aw man, you got your car fixed by Mr. Bendo?! I've always wanted to do that! I bet he just picked it up and fished in the new exhaust tubing like little lengths of pipe cleaner.