Monday, June 23, 2008

walk in these shoes.

It's no secret that my health is not the best...and frankly, it's never been all that great. I was blessed with Leukemia, an broken gall bladder (I kicked that fool to the curb a few years ago) and a host of other gastro issues.

Sometimes I'll be driving and see a 60 year-old guy in a convertible and wonder - how is that guy feeling? Is he really as happy and healthy as he seems with his gray mane flowing in the wind. If I could, would I want to switch my body with him. I, of course, try to straddle the line of being positive but still wondering in the back of my mind...Did I get the short end of the stick in the health gene pool?

Don't get me wrong - I wouldn't trade my life for anybody else's. I've got two great kids, a fantastic wife and wonderful family near and far. My dog is loyal and my life is just about perfect in everyway (with one notable omission).

Still, I admit that I'd be lying if I wasn't a little jealous of people who can go an entire year without getting sick, tired, weak and otherwise health compromised. Jerks.

I just got back from the lab where they took another five vials of blood. Today they're checking my Bilirubin, my complete Metabolic profile, a CBC and a couple others. I should hear back on most of them this week but will probably wait until my July 9 appointment with the good doc for the full breakdown.

1 comment:

Colin said...

I can't speak for the 60-year-old, but at half that age I'm spending most of my health-related thinking just being grateful for what I've got. You and Alison (and so many others) do so well under such difficult circumstances, while jerks like me seem to dodge every bullet and stay relatively problem-free. And what do we (I) do with this incredible good fortune? Squander it staring at a screen all day, or sit around feeling a combination of guilt and dread that someday it'll be my turn, and I won't be half as strong as you all.

Oh yeah, and every time I hear myself complaining about a sunburn or hangover I punch myself in the gall bladder, just to make a point.