Wednesday, July 16, 2008

the deed is done.

I think most decisions are better made when you're still stewing...

So, I made an appointment with a new Oncologist. Dr. Larry Cripe is the Leukemia guy to see at IU Med Center so hopefully I've got a winner...given that I learned my last guy is more of a prostate guru.

To be fair to Dr. Dugan (my current Oncologist) - I was just thrown at him from the emergency room. I certainly didn't have much of a choice as they were sticking a needle in my hip bone and at the point I was probably in a bit of shock (both literally and figuratively). I'm sure he was on call that night and got stuck with me - an overly researched, slightly hypochondriacal patient that routinely assumes he's on his death bed (I'm being dramatic).

Dr. Cripe studied at Rush Med center in Chicago and Duke. More details about him are available here. I think he'll be right up my alley. A big bonus is that IU is part of the Clarian/Methodist network so all my counts, tests, etc are available to them right away. A 2nd bonus is that IU is completing their new cancer center that I have visited a couple times...and it seems to be the Taj Mahal of hospitals, you can check out further details here.

Anyway, I hope I like this new guy and I hope that he's the real deal. I'm not sure how you break up with a doctor, but at the end of the day - nobody cares more about me...than me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's great! I'm so glad you called for a second opinion... I hope you like this new guy better.

LMK said...

Can I make the first bad joke? "For Cripe's sake, I hope you're not a pain in the butt patient."
One of my best Dr. advocates was also a mom with 2 kids. She convinced my oncologist about why somebody like me would want to go a step furthr in my surgery, even if it wasn't deemed necessary by my diagnosis. She told her, "She's a mom with 2 kids.She needs to make sure the lymph nodes are clean, and not have any lingering doubts." And that's how I ended up being injected with radioactive material with a 30 minute half life. Me and the geiger counter. Good times.

Knowing that your Dr. gets you is SO important. Keep us posted on what you think of him, for cripes sake. (sorry)