Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Down for the counts (its a pun).

Whities - 3,400
ANC - 1,800
Platelets - 170,000
Hematocrit - 37.5
Hemaglobin - 13.2

Bilirubin - 4.6 (down from 4.9).

In short - my Gleevec holiday has helped lower my liver enzymes and increased my platelets and neutrophils. I'll take it.

I'm guessing I'll be off my meds for another couple weeks to get the levels down closer to normal at which point I'll resume but with a lower dosage (300mg daily). This will save the insurance company about $700 per month so they should be happy with me.

I just got back from the eye doc where they did further screening for my glaucoma. I am still showing some signs but am considered a low risk of continuing damage (not a zero risk, but pretty low). She did a bunch of tests, but the weirdest one was the eye ultrasound. She pokes the surface of your eye in about six places (you are numbed first) and then reads the thickness of your lens. It seems that glaucoma treatment is really a statics game - mostly checking risk factors based on your age, gender, ethnicity, medications, etc. Pretty interesting really.

No comments: