Tuesday, July 22, 2008

I hate liver.

So my docs think I have something called Gilbert's Syndrome - it essentially is a just an elevated bilirubin level coming from my liver. I've probably had it my entire life - and its pretty benign, you can read about it here if you're so inclined. Most people have a bilirubin level of 0-1, mine happens to normally be around 2.4.

The problem is, lately mine has been just shy of 4.9...which is a big deal. So, I am officially on a Gleevec holiday for at least a week or two. They want to see the levels drop back down to 1.5x my normal level (somewhere in the 2 - 3 range). If the Gleevec holiday achieves this - they will lower my dosage to 300mg daily from 400mg.

Honestly, I'm a little relieved. I've long felt that my body is really sensitive to meds (I'm one of those people that can take a single tylenol and feel better) and am hopeful that going to 300mg will make me less immunosupressed and keep my white levels closer to normal.

Needless to say, we don't want my body to build up a resistance to the drug so going on and off the Gleevec frequently is something we want to try and avoid. That being said, we also want to avoid destroying my liver so in this case it is warranted. Going off the Gleevec for a couple weeks shouldn't affect my white counts too much since women have been known to be off it for months while carrying babies.

I'll keep you guys posted.

No comments: