Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Back from the Doc.

Just finished up my appointment with Dr. Dugan. I hadn't seen him in about a month so it was good to catch up. As promised, here is the blood data.

Whities - 3,300
Platelets - 119,000
ANC - 2,100
Hemoglobin - 12.8
Hematocrit - 37.5
Protein 6.8
Potassium - 4.1

In short, most of those numbers are good. I still have some work to do on the Hemoglobin...though frankly, I have no control over it. He told me that the reason men should have a higher hemoglobin than woman is testosterone. I explained the Kristin removed that from me years ago...he didn't get it.

Dr. Dugan is pleased with my progress and is going to put me back on 400 mg daily of the Gleevec. I got the impression that they want to keep you on this level to help get you to the cytogenic response. We talked about the FISH test and it will probably come a week or two after my next appointment in early April. He is very matter of fact and in so many words told me that he fully expected it to be "really messed up". They then check again at 6 and 9 months and look for progress. The good news is that this a peripheral blood draw (arm) so no marrow for me in the near future.

In addition to this, I will now only go in every other week for my complete blood count (CBC) and once a month for the rest of my chemistries.

I talked with Kris and the kiddos last night. After a marathon of travel, everybody seems to be having a great time and I'm glad they were able to get away and do this. I wish I could be there for Maris' first time but know that taking care of myself is my most important job so we can try again in a year or two.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

All good news! Thank you for keeping us posted. Stay well!