Tuesday, March 4, 2008

The turn around.

I'm not exactly sure what good news is anymore - so many ups and downs both figuratively and literally. As I mentioned in my last post, they had reduced my Gleevec to 300mg daily because my ANC and white levels had gone too low. Apparently, the dosage drop worked and my ANC is up to 1.4 from 0.9 (Neutrophils are the fighters in your blood) and my whites continued to tick up to 2.6 from 2.2. For the lay folk (myself included) - the ANC number is actually the number of fighters in the total number of white cells. In my case, 53% of my white cells are Neutrophils whereas last week it was about 45%.

The bad news is that my platelets dropped to 64,000. The nurse is talking with Dr. Dugan and will let me know what I need to do with my care to get them back up.

Aside from the platelets, the rest is pretty good news and hopefully over the next couple months - all my levels will continue to regulate to my new norm.

I go back to see my orthopedic doc on Thursday who I should probably credit with finding the Leukemia when it's all said and done. Maybe I'll bring a cake.

As my blood heals, its tough to remember that I still have limits. An example of this...on Sunday I hit the bike then did some stretching and ultimately overworked my calf. It's a little sore now and in the back of my mind I find myself worrying that I somehow ruptured the hematoma. I never needed much help being a hypochondriac so all these new unknowns just feed into that.

Well. Better get ready for the primary election results tonight.

No comments: