Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Boyz vs Men

For any of you who watched Purdue lose to Xavier, you probably had the same feeling I did; "Did I switch the channel to the local high school kids vs dad scrimmage?"

Purdue fought the good fight...but it became pretty clear that they were freshman and the Xavier team were all men. I enjoyed the game and thought we might have had a chance, but it just wasn't meant to be. It was a great year of Boiler basketball and hopefully we'll get three more years of these hard working kids.

As for my health, I'm feeling pretty good. No blood work this week so I'm a little anxious to hear how my numbers are doing next Tuesday. It's a blessing that my meds are working so well so fast, but I'm still so new to it that I like to have the confirmation that things are going well via hard data. The side effects continue to be manageable and the outpouring of support continues to amaze me.

After a pretty good health run in my circle, I'm starting to realize how unfair the world is. About a year ago, a former coworker was told he had a tumor on his pituitary gland, surgery followed but now it's looking like it wasn't enough. This man is a true gentlemen who I've have never known to be anything but courteous, fair and a great dad of three young girls. More recently a current coworker's husband had been losing a lot of weight and a visit to the doctor led to the diagnosis of with what appears to be pancreatic AND colon cancer. As if that wasn't bad enough, they had their first child on Monday. It's hard to say poor me with so much other bad stuff going on around you. It's a quick reminder of mortality and to be thankful for what you have immediately in front of you.

At the office, the Obama Brigade is in full force with more than 20 people coming and going all day. It's quite cool to be part of something like this (even as an observer), but you can quickly tell which coworkers are for him and which are against ;-).

The kids and Kristin are doing well. As my energy returns, we are able to get back to a more active lifestyle and expect that will only increase as the weather warms up.

2 comments:

ET said...

AK,

At least your team made it out of the first round, and still has a coach!

Just a quick note from the Rockies to wish you well. My wife's been keeping me posted on your progress, and I know she's looking forward to seeing you later this week.

Keep the faith bro!

Aaron Kohn said...

Hey Eric,

Thanks for checking in. Looks like you finally got a coach...and at least this one is a leader with ethics ;-).

Hope you guys are getting settled and your new territory is treating you kindly. I imagine its probably a lot larger with the population centers spread out so much.

Take care.

- ak